Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

10 Signs You Teach First Grade

10. You have simple sign language that you use daily for "Stop Picking Your Nose."

9. You use the term "Criss Cross Apple Sauce" at home and assume others know what you mean.

8. You need glue sticks more than pencils and consider it a true emergency when you run out.

7. Two little boys smile, hug, and say "We have SOOO much in common!" and mean it in a sincere and adorable way.

6. EVERY student will volunteer to do ANY (and I mean any) job you don't want to. Like collect scraps and pencil shavings off the floors. Thrilled I tell ya.

5. You know "Sam's Hat", "The Fat Cat", "Mac the Cat", and "At Bat" by heart AND know the differences between all four "stories".

4. You can't do Math higher than a first grade level. Like ask me to solve a problem involving fractions or decimals. I wouldn't be able to. At all. Ask me to draw pictures or use teddy bears to solve 4+7? I can do that. (Ok, maybe this is just me.)

3. You don't sit while the kids are sitting to do work. Ever. You simply can't. You might try, but sure as heck before you can say "criss cross applesauce" someone will be needing your assistance before your tired behind can hit the seat.

2. You have dance moves and chants for things like spelling the word "because" or said". You also have no problem teaching said moves and chants to people in your life that are NOT teachers. Or affiliated with any school system whatsoever.

1. You can translate this spelling and handwriting effortlessly: "The dik wuz in the mub." (The bike was in the mud.) Duh.

2 comments:

  1. I am using "criss cross applesauce" from now on..."Pinky Swear" is old news huh?? (I guess i am not with the times) This is so adorable. You sound like such a great teacher. I hope our child is lucky enough to have someone like you when they reach that grade.

    XOXO-Picca

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what about knowing that a squiggle on the paper, written by a certain student, is in fact an "h"? Stuff like that cracks me up. And then there's J - and my ability to know what he's thinking and about to do. Uncanny. Or maybe too much together time! :)

    ReplyDelete